Thursday, March 5, 2009

Growing Up

I was watching my kids play outside this afternoon and wondered, what are they talking about with their friends. Do you remember when your kids were toddlers / preschoolers and you had to be with them at all times? You always knew what they were doing and talking about.

But now that my kids are getting older and don't need me to watch their every move, I feel like I don't know what's going on. I'm nosy, I admit it. I want to know what my kids are saying and doing. But I also want to give them their space so that they can learn to navigate the waters of friendships. I definitely feel growing pains.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Everybody talks about kids' growing pains. I feel like I have more of them than my kids!

Debbie said...

I wonder what they talk about too! And it is hard to let go.

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

There is a big vent between Josiah and the girls' room So they can hear everything the others are saying/doing. And I have a bunch of loud mouth tattle tales, so there aren't any secrets around here....yet

Lynn said...

I used to love carpooling because then I'd hear my kids talking with their friends and find out what they were thinking. Somehow they think if you're driving, you can't hear :) The hardest part is not to insert yourself into the conversation.