I am concerned about the education of my children. I love our public school system, the teachers have been amazing. There's just one problem - we need to pass an operating levy. Our state does not fund our public schools well at all. My local district tried to pass an earned income tax levy in November and it failed. They have to pass an operating levy in May or cut 4 million dollars from their budget along with 24 teachers, gifted, intervention, gym, art & music at the elementary level and more.
While I don't want to see my property taxes go sky-high, I do want my kids to receive an excellent education. Noah benefits from the gifted program and Ethan will be bummed if he doesn't have art, music and gym. Not sure yet how this will affect David next year. Many parents are panicking and talking of moving, except the housing market stinks here now. What's a parent to do?
Josh and I have talked about this and we will send our boys to the same school next year. If it gets overcrowded in the classroom and they seem lost, we will home school. If you would have asked me prior to all of this if I would home school, my answer would have been "No". I will do it so that my children continue to learn at their best level, but I really want our district to pass the levy. There are too many good teachers that are going to lose their job.
4 comments:
Our school district is going through the same thing. I have friends who are amazing teachers who may not have a job next year. It's great you guys have a school that has been so good for your boys - I hope you get to keep them there.
Our governor has asked all of us teachers to teach for free for a few days b/c of the economic difficulties. Um... maybe he should take OUR salary first. ;)
First, I agree whole heartedly with CC. Secondly, I'll be you are wearing out the carpet down on your knees praying for that levy to pass. I know I would be!!
I agree with CC. As someone who made a pittance when I DID teach, why don't the government officials (especially those in charge of balancing the budget) take a pay cut before asking underpaid employees to do so.
And I'm so sorry for the stress of all of this. We had redistricting last year and I thought THAT was horrible. Hugs.
Post a Comment