Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Safety Lesson Time

Today we are going to talk about safety and teaching your children how to be safe. A few years ago, I heard an excellent speaker out my local MOPS group speak on safety. He has his own company and his a policeman. I learned to teach my kids to never approach a car and to always take a few steps back if a car approached them. They were also taught to run to a neighbors home or our house if they were outside and someone approached them.

Yesterday, my oldest two were approached in our driveway. I was home as it was time for them to come home from school. I looked out my window and saw a SUV in front of my driveway and 2 females getting some boxes out. I could see that they were door-to-door saleswomen. I was not happy about having to shoo them away, but what made me upset was, they approached my boys and asked if they were going to their house. They also wanted to know my name and my husband's. Luckily, my boys ignored them and high-tailed it up the driveway. I opened the door and got the boys in and very impolitely told those ladies to go away.

I was upset that those ladies had the nerve to talk to my children and then had the nerve to be upset when I said to leave. I reinforced with all 3 boys last night our safety rules. I hope you will with your kids too.

2 comments:

CC said...

You know, we talk about it ALL the time, but still I'm pretty sure that in that situation my kids wouldn't do the "right thing". :( :( It's really scary.

Lori said...

Great job, mom! My husband go over this stuff with our kids, but I always struggle with finding the balance between equipping the kids and scaring them.