I took the boys to a visitation tonight for a fellow Boy Scout's mother. The mom had battled cancer for a few years and passed away last week. To show support for their fellow scout, the boys were asked to go. This was my boys first visitation/funeral. We have had a few family members die, but the boys had never gone to the services. I wasn't sure how to prepare them or for what questions they may have.
I gave the standard advice of "just shake their hand and say I'm sorry for your loss". Josh advised them not to look at the casket - he gets the willys from them. David & Noah did well, shook Mr. Houston's hand and the children's hands. Ethan got a little scared and hid behind me. Lots of questions about the casket, where the body goes and how did they get the casket to the church. I tried to explain as much as I could about how God created us from dirt and we are buried in dirt - not sure if he got it.
I have a feeling there will be more questions to come and I hope I'm ready for them.
1 comment:
Ugh, that must have been hard!
Post a Comment