I am pondering my role as my parents' daughter today. I have gone from needing them to drive me places and taking care of my needs to now going to the doctor with them and asking questions they would not think of. My dad saw a neurologist today for "the shakes". He has been experiencing depression/anxiety for at least 2 years or more and has developed tremors. This was the first time I went to a doctor appointment with my parents. I felt as if I should have a medical degree to answer the questions or at the very least, a copy of his file from his family doc. It was heartbreaking to listen to my dad try to answer or comprehend what the doctor was saying. Even more was that I had to answer my dad's questions of "When am I getting that MRI?" and "When do I see him (doctor) again?" three times before getting in my car to go home.
You see, my dad was a very large man when I was growing up. I mean large in size and has lost a huge amount of weight without trying - he at times as lost 10lbs in one week. This started the depression since no doctor could determine why he was losing weight. I have watched my dad go from a hard, factory worker to a depressed, no energy man. Our family doesn't always want to go to Papaw's house because he is never upbeat and is always complaining about shaking. I think what bothers me the most is that my boys don't have active grandparents in their lives. My parents live about 15 minutes away and my in-laws are in Florida. This saddens me very much.
Prayers for our family would be appreciated. Prayers for my role as daughter are coveted.
4 comments:
Praying!! I totally get the disappointment over active grandparents. Gracie doesn't have them either and some of my best memories are of doing stuff with my granny and papaw. (((hug)))
It's hard when you go from being the child to the parent of YOUR PARENTS. You're a good daughter and your parents are blessed by you. Just remember that your parents are probably not too happy with the situation either. Be disappointed with the situation, not wtih them. Love you!
Pray I will my friend. May you find peace and understanding in Him.
Amen
Thank you all so much! I appreciate the prayers and you all very much.
Post a Comment